Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I Hope It Doesn't Mean I'm Crazy

I think I finally discovered the physical, natural, spiritual boundary between Central and South Jersey today. Long has the argument ran, some claiming South Jersey starts more north, others more south, others that there is a central jersey and the jerks arguing about this without them are assholes. But never has anyone found quotable evidence of a split. I do not have photographs of my evidence as yet, but I think I might have to find a way to get some video when I pass next. Hopefully it will be visible again.

You are wondering what it is I'm talking about, I suppose. I would be too. But then, you've had plenty of time to come to the realization that it's folly to expect me to always make sense.

I digress. I was driving south to work today, into an ever thickening fog bank. It's a 45 minute drive, but I can tell you, there is a precise spot where I gasped and suddenly knew the truth. Right as I was coming to the Bass River Toll Plaza (southbound, so you're actually paying attention, not digging for change), I noticed a sudden change all around me. It was as if the world had suddenly shifted down the spectrum. To this point, the world had been bathed in gray, but the kind of grey you get in the Wizard of Oz opening scenes - that almost Sepia-tone that you know in your heart is really black and white, though you see it as black and brown. But as the tolls came into view, the color seemed to catch up with me, and the world shifted towards blue. Sepia became grey, the light went dark, and the dark went darker. It was strange and unsettling, and not the first time I've perceived this to occur, and the effect lasted the next twenty minutes as I drove to work. (This was around 8 in the morning)

Having noticed this more than once, I can rule out being crazy. So now I think I need to set up a digital camera on a video setting for this point. I'll just toss it on my dashboard and hit record, I guess. We'll see what I can get.

No comments: